[This is part of our series: Getting Your Hopes Up: Stories of Healing Thru Diet and Nutrition. Each month we will be posting stories directly from mothers and fathers, on their experience using food and nutrition to help heal their child with autism, ADHD, and other developmental delays.]
Luka was once diagnosed with severe case of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) but today, Luka’s mom describes Luka as a bright, shiny, very happy, friendly, talkative nine-year-old boy who is successful in school, well behaved, respectful and a joy for his teachers, friends and family.
Today, Luka is no longer on the spectrum. His remarkable story and the commitment of his parents to do everything than could to make Luka’s life better, is quite powerful – full of inspiration and hope.
In fact, this story is being told because Luka often tells him mom…
“It would be good to share my journey as an example to other people TO NEVER GIVE UP!”
Luka was age 2 ½ when he received the ASD label and his parents were given a limited picture of his future – with a very long report of what Luka could not do and were told to forget about diet “because they don’t work,” to spend money on speech therapy specifically PECS system and see what future will unfold.
“They couldn’t tell us if Luka will ever be able to talk because his speech and communication were at the level of 9 months old baby.”
The only thing Luka’s parents wanted was to forget was what they heard that day.
“We focused to find a way to understand what’s going on in his body. To find a way reaching him and bringing him back”
Not far after the label of ASD was given, they started working with a biomedical (biomed) autism doctor who conducted metabolic testing and they learned of the broken biochemical pathways in Luka’s body: bacterial overgrowth, yeast, heavy metals, allergies/ intolerances, neurotransmitter imbalances, high histamine level, and zinc and copper imbalance among other things.
Son-Rise and Brain Balance Programs, Musical Therapy, Plus Dietary Changes
They began the Son-Rise program, focused strongly on cooking a proper diet for Luka, and also incorporated the Brain Balance program and musical therapy.
There was motivation! Luka’s mother said “It was very clear that many things were hurting him, and delaying them would only slow his progress.”
GFCF Diet, SCD, Sleep Improvements, Slight Set Back, Then First Words, & More Progress!
A GFCF diet gave him a normal sleep cycle! They then evolved to the Specific Carbohydrate (SCD) diet. Cutting his food addictions was challenging, he refused every other food in his attempt to get food he was craving. They persevered and soon Luka was eating like never before – healthy food with plenty of cooked vegetables.
“I didn’t need to chase him around the house to feed him. When it was time to eat he would sit and eat.”
He had a slight regression after 4 months on SCD, but after restarting SCD intro, he soon came back and spoke his first words. After 6 months on SCD, Luka:
- doubled his progress in speech;
- could have eye contact with people outside of the house, to ask for toys;
- could tolerate moderate exposure of being in loud environment;
- had his first interactions with a kids and
- stopped vocal stimulations (high pitch sounds that previously couldn’t be controlled).
Gut Bugs, Additional Biomed Protocols/Supplements, Addressing OCD, Phenols in Food, GAPS Diet, and Even More Progress!
They incorporated other protocols for: gut “bugs,” supplements for helping vitamin and mineral levels improve, supporting mitochondrial function, B12 shots.
Luka was still challenging but improving. “He loved his new diet. Everywhere we went he had his own food with him. But he became obsessive with them…” Luka also had some other obsessive behaviors such as repeating phrases and wanting his parents to repeat them too.
Luka’s Neurologist recommended heavy medications for the obsessive behavior but his parents refused the medications and continued their journey. It was believed Luka had OCD due to some bacterial overgrowth – and he was reacting to phenols in food.
They changed to the GAPS Diet and new supplements and gut protocol was given, his mom reports…“He was much calmer and less obsessive.”
- He did not require potty training! “He just did it without one single accident.”
- Started using more words, being more interactive with other kids.
- Age 4 1/2 – “He still couldn’t tolerate water on his face, but started trying to overcome the challenge.”
- Could sustain small conversation
- 60 % reduction in repetitive behavior was 60% gone
- Learning academics in school as average child his age.
- He became to express his talents towards drawing.
Jumping behavior and sensory stimulations remained. Family made deeper investigation about foods that may bother him.
Modified GAPS Diet, Camel’s Milk Trial, and Improved Allergies!
They modified the GAPS Diet and his allergies improved:
- introduced more good fats, specifically MCT with only C8 carbon molecules, ghee, avocado oil;
- a bit less of animal protein;
- learned he must avoid grains, legumes, nuts, eggs;
- fruit limited to one portion per day of low sugary fruits;
- tried camel milk, but stopped right away.
Continued Biomed Protocol/Supplements, Camel’s Milk/Keifer* Reintro & REMARKABLE Progress!
They continued with healthy food, supplements, low Naltrexone dosage, Mito – rescue, glutathione cream, enzymes, probiotics, herbal remedies for maintaining health gut “bugs.”
By age 6 he was able to drink camel’s milk* every day, camel kefir, and occasionally camel colostrum.
- “He taught himself how to swim. Earlier, even washing his hair and tilting his head backwards was impossible.”
- “He started building friendships, he was able to put himself in other’s people perspective.”
- “He was raising concerns about our wellbeing as his parents. Thinking about future, how he can help society.”
- “He was standing up for himself in the school if he had some issue with older kids, being more independent.”
- “He started doing hygiene by himself, even cutting his nails.
- Immune function has become stronger and well balanced.
At 8 years old, Luka’s mom describes his life as “Life as any other neurotypical boy“
- His doctor said he is “no longer on the spectrum.”
- He teaches his friends to eat healthy in order to grow and would never eat a food he doesn‘t recognize as one of his own.
- He understands that kids at school may ridicule his lunchbox, but knowing how good he feels is proof and strength to stay on the diet and defend his way of living a healthy life!
Actually, Luka is not just any other “neurotypical boy” – he’s quite special indeed. Luka says that his main purpose is to make something, to invent something that’s gonna make world better place.
We believe you, and we believe in you, Luka!
*Curious about camel’s milk? Camel’s milk, which is very different from cow or goat milk, has some pretty amazing healing properties (particularly with the immune system). You can learn more about it in our previous blog articles here Camel Milk: Healing or Hype? and “Got Camel Milk?” in The Autism File Magazine.
Do you have a success story that you would like us to share? Please send a message at our Facebook Page: Nourishing Hope for Autism