Pumpkin Pie Filling

pumpkinpie_filling_slice_smGFCF/SCD/GAPS/Paleo/LOD

For LOD, avoid high oxalate spices such as cinnamon.

1 can or 2 cups cooked pumpkin or butternut squash
½ cup raw honey (or 2/3 – ¾ cup of sweetener like sugar or maple syrup)
½ cup coconut milk
1 Tablespoon melted ghee (or coconut butter)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 whole eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Add squash/pumpkin in food processor (canned or cooked), add all ingredients and mix until smooth.  Or mix with electric mixer.

Grease baking pan (8 inch or smaller).  Pour in batter.

Bake in a pie/baking dish without a crust at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Or pour into gluten-free pie crust and bake, temperature and time may vary slightly.

CTH-Recipe-circle

8 Comments

1. Trudy Scott Food Mood Expert and Nutritionist November 26, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Yummy yummy yummy!

• Julie Matthews November 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

It’s delicious Trudy. I just made some more last night (to take the photo). I think I’ll go have some more now!

• Angelique November 28, 2013 at 3:36 am #

My hubby is allergic to eggs. What could I substitute with and how much? Thanks

• Julie Matthews November 28, 2013 at 5:15 am #

You’ll need something to help it set…gelatin or agar agar may work well, although I’m sure how much. Let us know how it goes! Julie

2. Jen Harper December 1, 2013 at 2:17 am #

I made your pumpkin pie recipe for Thanksgiving and crossed my fingers since the kids were looking forward to pumpkin pie and I didn’t want to disappoint them! I used one can of organic Farmer’s Market pumpkin, 3/4 sugar, 1/2 cup Native Forest Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk, spices, vanilla, and eggs but left out the ghee/coconut butter. I poured mine into a GFCF pie crust and baked about an hour. I put a pie crust cover over the edges to prevent them from burning. It turned out amazing!! Nobody would have known it was GFCF. And as a special treat I put the left over coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight, then scooped off the cream in the morning, added some vanilla and powdered sugar and made them a delicious whipped cream for on top. They literally squealed with delight! Thanks for the great recipe!

• Julie Matthews December 2, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Wonderful Jen!!! I’m so thrilled to hear it. And thanks for sharing your experience with us!!!