Coconut Flour Vanilla Cake

Diet Compliance: GFCF/SCD/GAPS/LOD/Paleo/Nut-Free

The cake is low oxalate, but the frosting is not.  To make the frosting low oxalate, use a different topping like whipped coconut cream.

I created this cake for my friend and colleague Sandrine Hahn of Nourishing Our Children for her birthday party when she was on the GAPS diet. I adapted this recipe from Elana Amsterdam’s “Vanilla Cupcakes” in Gluten-Free Cupcakes using all SCD/GAPS compliant ingredients.  I’ve made this many times since then, including for 400 people at the MINDD Forum in Sydney Australia, and it always turns out great.  The texture is very forgiving.  Not being in my own kitchen, I did not have my usual measuring devices and each batch came out good.  I was able experience with varying amount of oil and found it always turned out well.  Coconut flour makes a cake fluffier and lighter than with nut flour. It’s my favorite gluten-free flour at the moment.  The vanilla is strong and delicious in this recipe.

• 1 ¼ cups coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 8 large pastured eggs
  • 2/3 cup melted grass-fed ghee
  • 1 cup raw honey
  • 2 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 330 degrees. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.  In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, salt, and baking soda.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted ghee, honey and vanilla extract. Blend the wet ingredients into the coconut flour mixture with a handheld mixer until thoroughly combined.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Once inserted toothpick comes out dry (a few moist crumbs), cake is ready.  Let cook in pan, then cool on rack.  Frost after cake is cool.
FROSTING
1 1/2 cups of cashews
1 cup of water
2 teaspoons vanilla
7 dates
a tiny pinch of salt
Mix all ingredients in the blender on high to whip into a thick cashew cream.
Top with fresh organic blueberries.

14 Comments

1. Sandrine Hahn October 25, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

I loved it! Thank you so much, Julie! Do you think it wise to soak and dry the cashews first? Also, while I loved the cake – it was a bit sweet for my palette these days so, I what do you think about using less honey and dates?

• Julie Matthews October 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

I did not soak the cashews because they are not really raw anyway, although you could. You can definitely reduce the sugar. Since you were using little sweets in your diet for months, this would definitely seem sweeter to you than most people – and you could absolutely reduce the sugar.

2. Sandrine Hahn October 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

I read that one frosts after cake after it is cool, which is why I asked about the cashews. Do you mean that truly raw cahsews are not available?

• Julie Matthews October 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

I remember reading (I think in Nourishing Traditions) that all cashews are processed with heat, so they are not truly raw. If any one knows of some cashews that are raw, then soaking would be helpful.

3. Jessica Chase August 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

My batter came out really really thick is it supposed to?

• Julie Matthews August 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

Yes. It’s hard to know without seeing it but it’s pretty thick – I need to spread it with a spatula it’s so thick. Let us know how it turns out!

4. Jessica Chase August 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I don’t usually make anything for special diets or anything gluten free but I happened to have some coconut flour. I made cupcakes instead of a cake and it kind of has a funky texture.

5. Sharon June 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Today my daughter turns 6 and I decided to make this cake. It turned out delicious. I did cover it with homemade cream cheese chocolate frosting with was perfect with the moist cake. I highly recommend this cake, it is tasty!

6. Cheryl Harris December 17, 2013 at 2:47 am #

The frosting is NOT low oxalate, as it is full of cashews, which are quite high. So the “LOD” must be removed from the description.

• Julie Matthews December 17, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

YOu are absolutely right. Thanks for catching this. I meant the cake is low oxalate. I will fix it and include a low oxalate frosting like coconut cream.

7. Devin April 18, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Can you use regular butter or coconut oil in place of the ghee? Thanks, trying this for Easter!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Coconut cake with Maple Buttercream Frosting « Homemade Mommy - August 30, 2012

[…] some more searching I came upon this recipe that looked really good from Nourishing Hope blog.  I ended up making it and then I also made a modified maple buttercream (recipe below).  I know […]

2. Coconut cake with Maple Buttercream Frosting | Homemade Mommy - March 25, 2014